Maintaining a healthy lifestyle and regular activities is not easy without being complete in accessories. Whether you do your yoga, pilates, daily rounds of jogs, or tennis plays, a nice headwear to wick away the sweat is deemed necessary.
Now, with so many terms in the fashion vocabulary, confusion may get in the way of your choice of appropriate items. Today, we will be talking about the difference between the headband and the bandana.
Both are worn around the head, but what makes them unique from the other? We will find out their purposes as well as their types so the next time you do your drill session, you’re no longer wearing the wrong piece.
What Is a Headband?
Primarily, a headband is a piece of fabric worn either by men or women around their heads. This serves as an absorber of sweat drops that may run down to the eyes from the forehead during strenuous activity.
A headband is what one would typically wear in a gym or if you are a cyclist, this would be a headpiece you must never forget wearing. This is a more convenient item compared to a handkerchief that needs to be dabbed manually on your face.
Since headbands are now a thing, manufacturers have also produced ones that can be used for skin care treatments and procedures. Anyone who loves to do their me-time every morning or before bed would need a dependable headband that can draw the baby hair off the face and eyes.
Nobody wants to sleep with wet hair too, but with a headband on, the excess water after washing and facial rinsing will be absorbed by the cloth.
When Can a Headband Be Used?
It’s an understatement to say that a headband is so versatile it can be used for many purposes. Whether you have to do your daily exercise or start your skincare procedure, it’s no question whether a headband must be used or not.
Moreover, headbands are not limited to sports and beauty. We also have these days headbands that can be worn for aesthetic purposes. These are what you can flaunt in the streets of New York, Paris, or wherever you are actually.
They come in a variety of colors, patterns, designs, and construction. You only have to research thoroughly and find out what suits you the most. In fact, you can even wear a headband in formal events provided its style is appropriate to the setting.
3 Different Types of Headband
Doing sports and exercise would mean perspiring a whole lot of sweat. Burning off excess fat or improving the physical condition can be quite uncomfortable if there is no appropriate fabric worn around the head to catch the drips. A sports headband would keep your hands from constantly wiping the drops on your face. Usually, a sweatband is made up of advanced high-tech polyester. Unlike cotton which can only absorb so little, high-quality materials like polyester do the job so excellently.
Next up would be the headband for fashion purposes. There’s a lot that you can find if you browse the internet. There are turban headbands, scarves that can be utilized as a headband, floral, puffy, and lacey. You can choose according to your preferences or buy all the kinds to complete your headband collection. Make sure you have something suitable for all seasons. In winter, a knitted headband would keep your head warm. Some may come in muted colors, others can be dark, or vibrant.
If you are obsessed with taking care of your skin, surely you wouldn’t only put creams and serums on your cart. A spa headband is a must-have especially if you have a fringe or lots of unruly baby hairs. It can be frustrating to massage your face and at the same time feel strands of hair sticking on your skin. This problem will be eliminated if you use an adjustable spa headband. They come in different materials like silk, terry cloth, or microfibers.
All the Do’s and Don’ts of Sporting a Headband
- Do try to go out there and be daring concerning what color, pattern, or style you want with your headband.
- Do go for floral headbands if you feel like it. They’re not just for little girls.
- Do set out yourself in the spotlight by wearing sparkly headbands. They’ll catch everyone’s attention.
- Do match your headband’s color and style with your ensemble. It’s unacceptable to wear a gym headband for meetings and conferences.
- Don’t wear your headband with pigtailed hair if you don’t want to look like a kid.
- Don’t go overboard when it comes to headbands. A too flashy one can look absurd.
- Don’t wear exaggerated floral headbands. They’re only worn right if you are going to a costume competition.
- Don’t wear a headband that has a certain style, color, or print you are not very comfortable or confident with. Fashion isn’t just about looking presentable but as well as exhibiting the courage to display it.
What Is a Bandana?
A Bandana, bandanna, or kerchief is a square or triangular piece of fabric that can either be worn around the head, face, or neck. You can definitely say this is more flexible when it comes to purposes in contrast to a headband that can only be placed on top of your head.
A bandana is a decorative piece that is somehow useful when it comes to keeping the sweat off of your eyelids, but the material used isn’t meant to actually wick away the sweat. It certainly can keep the hair neat though.
These days, you can also find people using this as a mask around their faces. In other cases, it can be an accessory around the neck just like that of a cowboy. As you know, bandanas usually come in paisley patterns, but you can also find other prints.
When Can a Bandana Be Used?
A bandana can be a headband, but a headband can’t be a bandana by definition. Of course, if you want to elevate your casual or whatever type of attire, a nice piece of bandana would do the trick.
If you are up for visiting a farm, it’s perhaps nice to try to blend in. Wrap a bandana around your neck to really feel the farm life vibes matched with a hat to beat the sun.
Attending sports events like football would also call for a use of a bandana. You only have to keep the imagination alive and see where a piece of fabric can take you fashion-wise.
3 Different Bandanas to Try
A tube face bandana is often used by men, but this isn’t entirely exclusive for the group. Women can definitely indulge themselves in the benefits a tube bandana offers. This is a convenient piece a rider would often wear as it also protects the neck from feeling the cold gust of wind. You can also cover a portion or all of your ears during wintertime. Tube bandanas come in different prints and this adds up a more mysterious and attractive element to your entire attire.
Bandanas are undeniably timeless. You can wear this to add more color or vibrance to your outfit as you attend festivals, photoshoots, or any type of casual occasion. Wear this around your neck and place the knot either behind or in front of it whatever style the day calls for. Ideally, this looks great in denim jackets with a sleeveless as an inner. There is not much purpose for the fashion bandana except for decoration.
If you don’t have a sports headband and absorbing sweat isn’t in your criteria in looking for a headpiece, the headband bandana would be a good choice. This will upgrade your whole look since the design or pattern as well as the manner of wearing it can transform your whole aura. Some prefer wearing this around their head on top of their hair or having half of it covered beneath the hair. It is excellent in keeping the hairdo neat and tidy, especially if you are out traveling with your best mates.
The Do’s and Don’ts of Donning a Bandana
- Do rock a piece of bandana worn around your head or neck during music festivals, concerts, and more. Don’t wear it on both parts or you’ll look too much.
- Do balance your wardrobe shades by going for a truly vibrant bandana if you’re neutral in the rest of your attire or a neutral bandana if you are brightly colored from top to bottom.
- Do match your bandana with your whole look if you have to. Listen to your guts and see which one suits your clothes better.
- Don’t wear a bandana in whatever fashion if you are about to attend serious formal events like weddings, church events, business meetings, or even funerals.
- Don’t try to be the center of attention by matching your handsome suit or office attire with a bandana on your head. It doesn’t look smart.
- Don’t be afraid to try out different colors or designs for your bandanas. However, as much as you want to stimulate your creativity, do not forget that your image matters as well. If you’re unsure about your trappings, asking for an opinion from your friend really helps.